Skip to main content

Sensitivities to toxins & how they affect me now - as a mom 


When I was little, I’d say around 7 or 8, each time my family went out for the evening or to an event I noticed that I would consistently suffer severe headaches. Sometimes they were so bad that I would vomit and feel completely incapacitated. One day in particular, I realized that the onset of this ill feeling was brought on by none other than my mother’s perfume. It started out not being all of her different fragrances, just one in particular – Samsara by Gurlain. I would beg and plead for her not to wear this scent as it made me feel so sick all the time, and she complied for some time…and I guess I felt ok. Fast forward 10 years or so and my dad brings home some new orange scented air freshener and again I begin to experience headaches and feel ill. I realized here that I am sensitive to some scents. It was a bit weirs though as I was able to tolerate some perfumes, I wore perfume every day, but only the few I could tolerate and I know right away when one didn’t agree with me. Fast forward another 10 years and I am pregnant with my first born. My sensitivity to scent and fragrance is amplified 100 times. I am sick at all different types of scents and have to pack away all scented products in my home, including perfume, laundry detergent, even certain dish soap. The funny thing is, this amplified sensitivity didn’t go back to “normal” once my baby was born…it kind of stuck. The other funny thing that happened after my baby was born is that I started to research about why this was happening to me as I never wanted my new baby to experience the same discomfort.  I realized that most of these products on the market, perfume, air freshener, scented candles, soaps, lotions etc. are FILLED with toxic chemicals. Most of these chemicals are cancer causing, and can wreak havoc on your endocrine system. It was this research that was a turning point for me and my husband, and we swore against all of the scented hand sanitizers (which is a discussion all on its own) and scented soaps, lotions, detergents, and perfumes. We went fragrance free in our household and immediately noticed that we experienced fewer headaches, less fatigue, and generally felt better. We use products like Tide free, or Green Works, we use no perfume at all (we shower every morning so smelling bad is not a thing, really), and we are constantly looking for ways to improve in this journey. I would say it’s difficult to relay this message to everyone and have everyone on board – maybe this blog post will help! We are so fragrance free daily that when fragrance wearing family or guests visit it, the effects hit us like a ton of bricks. Both my kiddos have experienced nose bleeds to prolonged exposure, because they are just not used to it at home. I feel like I need to take on this journey and change the world, we should all work toward getting safer products into the hands of everyone. No one needs these chemicals in their life, no one should feel sick all the time. We don’t need to expose our children to cancer causing toxins, or have their reproductive system messed with by chemicals. If I can change even 1 person I will feel like I have accomplished something toward this journey. So I challenge you to look into the products you choose, and make an informed choice. Lets make the world we leave behind a better one!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been a while...

It's been a long while since I started this blog, and my first (and only post). It seems as though life runs away with time. I guess I didn't have as much time in my days as I thought I would have, or maybe I was just too busy creating memories for as long as I could...until I returned back to work. A few things remained the same...and one of them is that I am still a Momaholic. I live and breathe being a Mommy. I love talking about my boys, taking pictures, sharing pictures, buying them cute outfits, doing activities with them...cooking them fun meals (but healthy) etc, etc, etc. A few things changed...Big A will be soon turning six! and my little baby A has already celebrated his 1st birthday! I am back at work returning from the most epic and wonderful 15 months off. It's not so bad, but my heart aches for being with my boys again. One thing is that I would like to change is to make a conscious effort to contribute to this blog and watch it flourish. I would like t
Sometimes I feel like it's not so hard having 2 little ones and working...and other times I am completely overwhelmed. I am continually searching for organization tips and tricks from other Moms, or anyone else for that matter, that can help make life a little less chaotic. I came across this link to menu planning...have a look, its really great! I'm going to try implementing this over the next few days! Organize your meal prep